As we begin a new year, many people will make the common resolution to get…
What can I expect following my varicose vein treatment?
Varicose veins are a disorder we see often in our vein treatment centers in Austin, Georgetown and Kyle. They are abnormal vein structures that appear bulging and discolored under the skin, and can cause chronic pain and swelling in the legs.
The good news is that varicose veins are easily treated with procedures like sclerotherapy, endovenous ablation, and minimally invasive vein removal surgery.
If you are one of the 35% of Americans who suffer from varicose veins and are considering treatment but may be apprehensive about a lengthy or difficult recovery, don’t be.
All of the varicose vein treatments we offer at VeinSolutions are conveniently performed on an outpatient basis, and no hospital stay is ever required. While recovery times will vary for everyone, most patients feel comfortable returning to work and their regular activities within 24 hours.
Here’s what our team of board-certified vascular surgeons and vein experts suggest that you can expect following varicose vein treatment:
Day of Procedure
- Minimal or slight pain in the areas treated
- Some light bruising, inflammation or swelling
- Bandages or sterile dressings applied
- Recommendations to avoid heavy workouts or lifting, bathing or swimming
One Week after Procedure
- Resume normal physical activities
- Some bruising is expected
- Walking frequently is highly recommended to promote circulation and healing
- A burning sensation or tightness where the treatment was administered may occur
One to Six Months after Procedure
- Visit your vein specialist for follow-up appointments to determine if additional treatments are needed (this is not always the case but it may be sometimes necessary)
- Brusing will subside with time
- Continue with regular exercise and physical activity
- Gradual but significant fading in color and diminished bulging of the affected vein area
With all of these varicose vein removal treatments, our providers will likely recommend wearing compression stockings to help promote healing and circulation. It is also important to avoid both sitting or standing for too long in the days immediately following a procedure to prevent any excess strain on the legs.
Our patients at VeinSolutions are typically very pleased with both the cosmetic and therapeutic results they experience once healing is complete. They are happy to have their legs free from painful varicose vein symptoms while looking better than before.
To schedule an appointment with a vein specialist in Austin, please contact us here or call 512.452.VEIN (8346), or 512.501.4287 for our clinic in Georgetown.