If you notice large, bulging veins forming under the skin on your legs, and they…
As we begin a new year, many people will make the common resolution to get fit, in order to look and feel better in 2023.
If you’re targeting your legs, and want to make sure they are healthy and strong, in both how they look and feel, VeinSolutions has some tips to help you.
One way to achieve healthier legs is to prevent and treat existing varicose veins.
Varicose veins are bulging, abnormally functioning vein structures that form under the skin and affect more than 35% of Americans, usually women. They can cause chronic pain and swelling if not treated properly.
We see them frequently in our vein treatment centers in Austin and Georgetown.
Here are ten easy tips that our team of board-certified vascular surgeons and vein specialists share for healthier legs and preventing varicose veins:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Discuss with your physician what that is for you, as excess weight and obesity puts extra stress on the legs and the circulatory system in general.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Tuck into brightly colored fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats for optimal vein health.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water throughout the day keeps blood flowing better and boosts circulation. Try adding sliced fruits and refreshing herbs, like mint or rosemary, for a burst of flavor.
- Exercise and move a little every day. Hit the gym, join a team, take a dance class, or just head outside for a walk to get your blood pumping. Do something that you enjoy, ideally for at least 30 minutes daily, so you’ll be more likely to stick with a regular workout routine.
- Avoid prolonged sitting or standing. Sitting too long can decrease circulation, while standing too long puts unnecessary stress on veins in the legs. Either way, make sure to get up, sit down, or stretch your legs out frequently in either scenario.
- Manage stress. Keeping stress to a minimum benefits your overall health in so many ways, but especially your blood pressure and circulation.
- Don’t skimp on sleep. Getting sufficient rest, preferably six to eight hours a night for adults, helps the body heal and rejuvenate more effectively.
- Stop smoking in 2023. It’s never too late. Eliminating tobacco use lowers your risk for developing serious cardiovascular and circulatory issues.
- Consider compression stockings. These can help promote healthy circulation in the legs, soothe aches and pains, and even add a layer of warmth during these cooler winter months.
- Schedule an annual check-up. Visit with your physician each year, and any specialists, to make sure you are on top of managing any existing conditions and hitting your health goals.
If you are already experiencing varicose vein symptoms (like the bulging appearance, swollen legs or ankles, and leg fatigue), there are many effective treatment options that we offer for varicose vein removal.
To schedule an appointment with a vein specialist in Austin, please contact us here or call 512.452.VEIN (8346), or 512.501.4287 for our clinic in Georgetown.
Here’s to your health and happiness in 2023!