If you notice large, bulging veins forming under the skin on your legs, and they…
They are thick, knotted structures appearing under the skin, typically on the legs, caused by abnormal vein function. When the tiny valves within vein walls collapse or perform improperly, they prevent blood from flowing back up towards the heart, and instead, blood pools in the veins.
This blood pooling leads to the bulging and dark blue or purple formations you see under the skin which are uniquely characteristic of varicose veins.
Besides appearance, other common symptoms that our board-certified vascular surgeons at VeinSolutions see in patients include aching, swollen, and even itchy legs where the varicose veins are present.
Why do varicose veins cause aching or itchy legs?
The pools of blood that occur inside the vein structure create excess pressure on the delicate vein walls. This can lead to veins swelling and associated aching and pains.
The irritation or itching sensation that sometimes accompanies varicose veins comes from the blood in the pools that is stagnant. Since this blood is unable to be properly circulated back up to the heart to be reoxygenated, or refreshed, it harbors toxins from the body that are never eliminated, causing inflammation and itchiness.
Another common and painful side effect of varicose veins is cramping which can also be triggered by the toxins in this unhealthy blood residing in the vein structures.
How is varicose vein pain treated?
Simple ways that our vein specialists recommend to calm varicose vein aches and pains include:
- Elevating your legs whenever possible to alleviate pressure
- Keeping physically active with activities that promote healthy circulation in the legs like walking, swimming, or riding a bike
- If sitting or standing for long periods of time, performing frequent small leg and ankle exercises like ankle flexes or calf circles to encourage blood flow
- Wearing compression stockings to ease swelling and improve circulation
One sure way to eliminate varicose vein pain is to remove them all together.
Our vein specialists offer many effective options for varicose vein removal that are quickly and conveniently performed right in our clinics with typically no downtime. These methods not only improve how your legs feel, but they will enhance how they look too!
The most common methods our vein experts at VeinSolutions use for varicose vein removal are:
- Sclerotherapy which is an injection treatment that is best suited for removing spider veins and small- to medium-sized varicose veins. This solution breaks down the vein walls which are eventually absorbed back into the body and eliminated.
- Endovenous Ablation is a procedure using a thin, heated fiber which is inserted into the vein via catheter. The heat shrinks the vein walls and seals it off sending the blood upwards in other directions through healthier veins.
- Minimally invasive varicose vein surgery is recommended when other methods have not proven successful in removing stubborn varicose veins. State-of-the-art surgical techniques and venous duplex imaging allow our surgeons to remove the veins precisely and swiftly with a very minimal amount of scarring so that the results are both therapeutically and aesthetically pleasing.
To schedule a varicose vein appointment in Austin, please call 512.452.VEIN (8346), or call 512.501.4287 for our clinic in Georgetown.